Paul's Post 01/24/24

                      

About me:

My name is Paul Page, I'm from Palmer AK where I work summers as an Apprentice Electrician. I got my diploma from the Mat-Su Middle College in 2023 and am majoring in Electrical Engineering here at UAF. This is my first semester on campus and my freshman year in college, (although I'm a sophomore by credits). I decided to attend UAF because I love my home state and didn't want to leave it behind entirely. Even though I'm a mind-numbing 6 1/2 hour drive from the town I call home, being in the state is definitely worth it to me. Following graduation, I plan to work as an Electrical Engineer in the Mat-Su Valley drafting and approving building plans for electrical contractors.



"Kultur Terror" or Culture Terror in English, is a propaganda work from 1944 by Norwegian artist Harald Damselth. This poster serves as a warning that American culture, deemed soulless (seelenlosigkeit)will destroy European traditional morals and values. The Jewish banker, Star of David, and Klu Klux Klan mask emphasize how the governments of Nazi-controlled nations wished to be rid of the so-called American liberators and their destructive culture as they saw it. 

 
I am a casual enjoyer of art, I do not typically draw or paint but I do appreciate many kinds of art. I appreciate art with a story like my choice of a demonstration, but I also enjoy more abstract pieces. For me, appreciating art is often like going for a relaxed stroll in an art gallery. I don't feel the need to overthink or dissect every detail; instead, I just enjoy the colors, shapes, and overall feel. Whether it's a contemporary piece with bold strokes or a more traditional work with subtle details, I find a simple pleasure in art. 


Content related to the arts (painting):



                   


 

Comments

  1. Like you, I don't really do art - I have created a few pieces, but I'm not an artist. But I LOVE museums. I visited the Tate when I was a student in London.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pleasantly surprised to see propaganda art make an appearance on my first run through of the blogs- not to say I enjoy propaganda, but seeing art made for a different purpose than most is interesting. It's a whole cluster of symbols put together, which would be interesting to dissect if either of us had the mind to do so, but alas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a few friends who work for the Laborers right now, but plan to join the IBEW later down the line. Respectable career! As for the art, it's an interesting way of demonizing the American culture as "liberators" who destroy cultures instead.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts